|The old way of watching movies on demand.|
Although there were high expectations for the crop of summer movie releases, it turned out being very disappointing. Out of all of the hyped summer movies, I can't think of one movie that stood out.
So instead of discussing my favorite summer movies, I thought it might be a good time to discuss movies that made a much quieter impact - the movies I would have otherwise never heard of.
- A Simple Plan - When three blue collar acquaintances come across millions of dollars in lost cash, they make a plan to keep their find from the authorities but find complications and mistrust weaving its way into their plan.
- August Rush - A whimsical drama where an orphaned musical prodigy uses his gift as a clue to finding his birth parents. A very uplifting film from start to finish.
- Gattaca - In a society where people are bred for perfection, a naturally born, genetically inferior man purchases the identity of a superior man in order to pursue his lifelong dream of space travel. A great story of the power of the human spirit.
- Hart's War - In a WWII prisoner of war camp, a law student who has become a lieutenant because of his famous father, is asked to defend a black POW falsely accused of murder.
- Mr. Brooks - A psychological thriller about a man who is sometimes controlled by his murder-and-mayhem-loving alter ego. Kevin Costner plays against type as a serial killer.
- Safe - A young girl whose memory holds a priceless numerical code, finds herself pursued by the Triads, the Russian mob, and corrupt NYC cops. Coming to her aid is an ex-fighter whose life was destroyed by some of the very same gangsters after the girl. Better than the average Jason Statham movie.
- Safety Not Guaranteed - A magazine writer and two interns head out on an assignment to interview a guy who placed a classified ad seeking a companion for time travel. A very subtle and funny movie.
- The Ledge - A police officer looks to talk down a young man lured by his lover's husband to the ledge of a high rise, where he has one hour to contemplate a fateful decision.
- The Man from Earth - An impromptu goodbye party for a retiring professor becomes a mysterious interrogation after he reveals to his colleagues that he never ages and has walked the earth for 14,000 years. This film was done on a low budget and most of the action takes place in a single room, but it really makes you think.
- Warrior - The youngest son of an alcoholic former boxer returns home, where he's trained by his father for competition in a mixed martial arts tournament - a path that puts the fighter on a collision course with his older brother. A movie revolving around mixed martial arts with a very human story at heart.
Post a Comment